Sweet Potato Crumb CakeOctober 20, 2007 at 3:37 pm | Posted in breakfast, Dessert, Family Meals, flaxseed meal, sweet potato puree | 3 Comments
Tags: Family Meals
This is so easy, practical, and yummy…but it starts with a box mix. Yes, a faithful Krusteaz Cinnamon Crumb Cake mix. I want to see how a puree will affect the traditional cake box mix. And this Cinnamon Crumb Cake is calling for sweet potato puree.
I pulled my sweet potato puree out of the freezer last night and let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your 8×8 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- 1 box Krusteaz Cinnamon Crumb Cake
- 1/2 cup sweet potato puree
- 2 T flaxseed meal
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water (you may need less depending on how thick your puree is)
- Place cake mix, puree and flaxseed meal in a bowl. Mix well with two knives.
- Add egg, water and mix until moistened. Batter will be lumpy.
- Spoon half of the batter evenly into pan.
- Sprinkle half of the cinnamon topping (included in cake mix box) onto the batter in pan.
- Drop remaining batter in small spoonfuls over cinnamon topping layer.
- Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon topping.
- Swirl batter with a knife up and down in the pan.
- Bake 40 minutes
Well, of course my 5 year-olds loved this for breakfast. The nice thing was, with the addition of the sweet potato and flaxseed meal, this crumb cake sustained my kids for a long period of time. They were not clambering for a snack at 10:30am or even 11am. We had breakfast at 8:45am and they didn’t have lunch until 12:30 pm, not bad.