Tags: Family Meals
Since our Pea Party was such a success, I tried a Pumpkin Parade tonight for dinner. And it was, literally, a parade. I didn’t plan out roasting my pumpkin too well, so we sat down to the Pasta with Pumpkin Sauce and roasted pumpkin seeds, then had Smashed Pumpkin, and then Pumpkin Pie.
Pasta with Pumpkin Sauce
recipe adapted from Rachel Ray at Food Network
- 1 lb bulk sweet Italian Turkey Sausage
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-6 sprigs sage leaves
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/8 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- Heat a large, deep nonstick skillet and brown the sausage. Drain on paper towels and return pan to the stove.
- Add the garlic and onion, saute 3-5 minutes.
- Add bay leaf, sage, and 1 cup of the chicken stock, reduce about 2 minutes
- Add remaining cup of chicken stock and pumpkin, stir and allow sauce to come to a bubble.
- Return sausage to pan and stir in milk. Season with cinnamon and nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Allow sauce to simmer and thicken.
- Pour sauce over pasta
In an effort for my kids to see how a pumpkin turns into Smashed Pumpkin, I first had to find a sugar pumpkin at the grocery store. It looks just like a pumpkin, is in the produce section, but it has a special sticker, mine said “Pie Pumpkin” and it was with all the squashes.
- Preheat oven 325° F
- Wash the pumpkin
- Oil a baking dish/roasting pan
- Quarter the pumpkin
- Scoop out the seeds and fibrous tissue
- Cut the pumpkin into 4 inch segments; place the segments skin-side up in the oiled pan
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and roast 1.5 hours
While the pumpkin was roasting, I had my kids help me separate the seeds from the fibers. I then rinsed the seeds, sprinkled them with kosher salt, cooked them at high heat in the toaster oven for about 15 minutes. My kids ate them! Ate them all in fact.
After the pumpkin finally finished cooking, I scooped out the flesh and with my kids watching, I mashed it with a fork, dolloped on butter and sprinkled on brown sugar. My kids ate the Smashed Pumpkin! And had seconds!